The Qur’anic text occupies a central place in the Islamic intellectual and faith tradition. Revered by more than one billion people, it is considered by muslims as the unmitigated utterance of God, revealed to the prophet Muhammad. As Scripture, the text and its exegesis have prompted numerous works of theology, jurisprudence, philosophy, linguistics and politics in the Muslim world and beyond, spanning back fourteen centuries.
Since the mid-nineteenth century, instigated in part by the German schools of philology and developments in biblical criticism, the academy has turned its attention to this elusive text, raising new questions about its provenance, its history, its language and its structure.This website offers a panorama of this unfolding and dynamic field of inquiry. It aims to offer an overview of critical methodologies that underpin this intellectual pursuit, to better our understanding of a text, which remains shrouded in mystery.
- ARCHIVE : some previous news on quranic studies
- SCHOLARS : 300 scholars presented
- INSTITUTIONS : Universities and centers of research presented
- DEBATES : the main debates on quranic studies today
- METHODOLOGIES : 10 methods to read the Qur’an
- BIBLIOGRAPHY : hundreds of books and articles presented
- RESOURCES : documents, videos on quranic studies
- 1350 pages ; 330 bio/bibliographies of scholars ; 1000 books and 300 online ; 260 websites available
Copyright © 2008-2017. Mehdi Azaiez